We offer counselling services for individuals, couples, and families to work through a variety of issues or set a path to achieve personal goals. Counselling offers support to maintain a healthy and productive life, which may include skills building to work through challenges.
How do I know if counselling is the right step for me?
Counselling is about personal goals, so you can set the expectations. Our counsellors are also professionally trained to help work through major challenges individuals may face, including:
- anxiety and depression
- confidence to pursue and build relationships
- gender identity and sexual orientation
- emotional understanding and regulation
- self-harming behaviours or thoughts
- transitioning to postsecondary
- relationships and sexuality
- social skills
- understanding or searching for a diagnosis
- self-care strategies for caregivers
Do I need a formal diagnosis to access counselling?
No, our councilors are here to help you with any of your concerns or goals.
Do I need a referral to see a councilor?
No, you do not need a referral; however, some insurance providers may request one for their purposes.
How does counselling work?
Counselling offers a no pressure environment for you to speak and be heard. Our counsellors can help you gain clarity by listening and offering an objective and nonjudgmental perspective on your situation. They can help you identify and strengthen your personal resources, develop strategies to overcome challenges, and work towards your goals.
Some preferred theoretical frameworks include: Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, Narrative Therapy, and Mindfulness Therapy.
All information you share in counselling is held in strict confidence and will not be shared with anyone without your consent, except when one of the following risks are present:
- clear and imminent danger is indicated, either to yourself or others
- there is an indication of abuse of a minor (age 18 or under)
- a court subpoena is received
Geneva Centre for Autism is conveniently located at 164 Merton Street, Toronto, near Yonge and Davisville.
Appointments are available on Fridays from 9:30 AM - 4:00 PM. Sessions are 55 minutes in length.