How can I get a diagnosis?

Medical professionals such as developmental pediatricians, psychiatrists and other medical doctors with extensive experience with persons affected by ASD can give an official diagnosis. Registered psychologists with extensive knowledge of ASD can also give a diagnosis. Information on the DSM-IV diagnostic criteria for ASD can be found in our What is Autism section. For information about how to contact such professionals in the Greater Toronto Area, contact a Social Worker at Geneva Centre for Autism. If you live outside of the Greater Toronto Area, contact your family doctor or local hospital for a referral.