The essential component of this grant project is to increase awareness of the importance of accommodations and strategies that are essential when planning with individuals with an ASD.
The objectives of the project are to:
- Provide a half-day training session to facilitators who are currently doing PDP (person-directed- planning) but require additional expertise in strategies that are specific to and effective with individuals with an ASD.
- Develop a model that utilizes individual coaching session(s) for planners to ensure knowledge transfer and implementation of these ASD-specific strategies.
- Bring to this training the perspectives of individuals with an ASD to share suggestions about how to most effectively engage this population and encourage them to voice their desires and personal goals in order to overcome barriers to social inclusion.
- Ensure sustainability through the development of print and web-based training materials for both facilitators and individuals with an ASD to increase understanding of the importance of this process and visual materials to aid accessibility. These materials would be made available to all person-directed planners.
- Initiate a community of practice as a sub-group of the Shared Learning Forum for facilitators. The mission of this community of practice would be to provide support, information and share resources with one another thereby continously improving the PDP experience for individuals with an Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Please contact Jennifer Cantello Daw at 416.322.7877 ext 227 if you require any additional information.